IMA's Weekly Mosaic Workout Challenge

Institute of Mosaic Art's Weekly Mosaic Workout Challenge. We are challenging ourselves, and whoever wants to join us, to make a mosaic every week from June 6th to November 6th, 2014. 

I haven't forgotten you!

Week 18 - Redux #2

Hello Challengers and Challenge watchers. I have dropped the ball this past week, and for this I apologize profusely. I am underwater with work projects, and yet took 3 days "off" last weekend for Emma Biggs' class - which I am now paying for with lots of catch-up!

The class was fabulous, by the by -- probably a bit advanced for me but Emma is insightful and delightful. I learned more than I could possibly re-cap about color and pattern and some of the ways to look at art and think about building a mosaic design.  I am the worst about making mosaics in class and only rarely finish something over the course of a weekend workshop - this was no exception.  I did start something though! I didn't go in with a project in mind and after showing Emma a mosaic I had in progress but had stalled on and become a bit bored by, she recommended I break it (it was thinset on plastic) and use the pieces in something new. I went for it and now have a piece in progress that I'm looking forward to completing -- it's different than anything I've done before, which is exciting. 

I promise to post the prompt tomorrow on schedule, and to get the final two weeks' work up in a more timely fashion. I also plan to  speak to the possible future of the Weekly Workout.

And now on to Redux #2 results...


Artist: Ginny Sher

Title: Dance in Red [Switcheroo redux]

Time: 2.5 hours

Hate/Love: I can’t say that I loved this challenge, but it was fun.  I have never worked with broken dishes before and have been waiting for the right opportunity to try it. I’m not attracted to most pique assiette mosaics as I find them often to be a little too busy. Awhile back I scored a whole set of red/white dishes for a pittance and wondered if I would ever use them.  I broke the set down into smaller pieces simply so it could be stored more easily and proceeded to forget I had them.  (We all do that, right? ) Ergo, the Switcheroo. 

Happy:  Yes, I am happy with the result simply because the finished mosaic is a style that is more accustom to what I would usually create, even  while using  different material.  I’m pleased that I stretched to use a tesserae that I am not overly fond of.  This also plays into what I learned and that is I can create something that pleases me even though I wouldn’t gravitate to the material.


Artist: Julie Sperling

Title: Reasonable facsimile of Picasso's camel sketch 

Size: 6″ x 6"

Materials: Cinca

How long did it take to complete? About 2.5 hours

Thoughts: I was really hoping I'd get to miss the challenge where we had to copy a non-mosaic artist's work... Damn catch-up weeks! It's Thanksgiving up here in Canada and I'm spending an extra long weekend away in Montreal, so I had to be pretty strategic in terms of what I chose to replicate. As with other weeks when I've been pressed for time, I decided to maximize the negative space and went with one of Picasso's line drawings (a camel). This also meant that I could keep the materials really simple (just cinca, in this case) and didn't have to pack much---just a few tiles, my tweezers, nippers, and a bottle of glue. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. There are some issues with the keystoning in parts, but heck, I was on vacation and wasn't being too exacting. Had I had more time and access to all my materials, I really would have liked to have tried my hand at interpreting a Rothko. Maybe I'll save that for a self-imposed challenge on a rainy day...


Artist:  Sherry E Wallis

Title:  In The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Time: 12 hrs

Materials:  Stained glass, glitter glass, transparent iridescent glass, vitreous glass, mirror glass, glitter, seed beeds,  rocks, pebbles, gravel, millefiori, polymer clay on 12 x 15 Wedi board mounted in thinset and apoxy sculpt  

Thoughts:  I used all my spare time to catch up this piece.  Some of the glue is still wet--that's the bluish color on the big mountain where I added some seed beeds and glitter.  I need to turn it over and let the excess pebbles fall off to see if I need to glue any more in.  Also, I will frame it using black Apoxy Sculpt around the wedi and some of the thinset.  It will also cover the glass that I didn't cut correctly, and which I didn't discover until I was already into the piece.  I can see I also need to paint the thinset around the rocks or put down glue and gravel. 

I'm very happy with how this has come out.  I think it captures the song well, and was a lot of fun to make.  

On the catch-up front, I've also gotten two pieces grouted from previous challenges--Motion and Black & White.  For the String Theory, I painted the thinset and put traffic lines on the street.  

 

*Note: I noticed that while Sherry's piece looks right side up to me in the "edit" mode, when I publish, it goes sideways.  I will continue to work on adjusting!